Attract Dragonflies For Mosquito Control
Did you know!? Dragonflies consume an abundance of pesky, annoying mosquitoes.
See how you can attract dragonflies to your yard for the ultimate pest control.
Don’t let your outdoor activities in your dream backyard oasis get ruined by mosquitos! We all know bats are great at providing natural mosquito control, but there’s another unlikely garden friend who can help as well: dragonflies!
Not only are they beautiful and fun to watch, but they consume an abundance of pesky, annoying mosquitoes. Consider this: one dragonfly can consume hundreds of mosquitoes in a day. So how can you attract dragonflies to your yard for the ultimate pest control?
How to Attract Dragonflies to Your Yard
This beneficial insect is worth inviting to your yard. Here are a few tips to ensure they are welcome so they can start doing their job at controlling mosquitoes.
- Remove the bug zapper if you have one and let the dragonflies do the zapping on the insects in your yard.
- Install a pond or water feature in your yard. Dragonflies lay eggs in still, rather than moving, water throughout their life cycle.
- If you have a pond with fish in it, place aquatic plants in pots and submerge them in the water. This will protect the dragonfly eggs from being eaten by fish.
These are land/yard plants to consider including to attract dragonflies:
- Hardy or Tropical Water lily (Nymphaea)
- Cattail (Typha latifolia)
- Arrowhead (Sagittaria latifolia)
- Water Horsetail (Equisetum fluviatile)
- Pickerelweed (Pontederia cordata)
- Wild Celery (Vallisneria americana)
- White bulrush (Scirpus albescens)
- Umbrella palm (Cyperus alternifolius)
- Swamp milkweed (Asclepias incarnate)
- Joe Pye Weed (Eupatorium fistulosum)
These are land/yard plants to consider including to attract dragonflies
- Black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia hirta)
- White Yarrow (Achillea millefolium)
- Meadow Sage (Salvia marcus)
Learn more and read full article: https://www.farmersalmanac.com/attract-dragonflies-35729
LEAVE IT TO THE PROFESSIONALS AT LANDCRAFT
We like to keep our footprint small and concentrate on urban landscape’s. Revitalizing the soils and introducing some native plants back into the urban setting. Raingardens and dry creek beds are one of our specialties, as well as reusing existing materials.
Landcraft is your local Minneapolis Urban Landscaping company that can work with your budget and give you options on how to give you the front yard you have been dreaming about. Contact us to learn more about us and to get a quote on your next backyard project.
REQUEST A PROJECT QUOTE
Looking to get an estimate on one of your outdoor landscaping projects in Minneapolis, MN? Request a Project Quote on our website.